While “normal” feels like it might be a moving target right now, you can’t afford to get too far away from the best practices you were following before the health crisis hit. Your employee training program is a perfect example. Take a look back on what your top training topics were at the beginning of the year, account for changes to your business that have taken place recently, and re-evaluate your program. Here are some ideas to focus on:
Today’s Top Training Topics
- Current events and top-of-mind training topics. As essential businesses, convenience stores had to react to public health guidance in real time. This includes general safety guidelines to employees and customers, social distancing requirements, and guidance for wearing face coverings and washing hands. In the beginning, you probably trained your staff on-the-job. To make sure you’re presenting a consistent message to everyone, now would be a good time to put everyone through some refresher training on your crisis response and pandemic-related policies.
- Career development. Challenging times can bring out the natural leader in people you hadn’t considered for management training Start by identifying which of your employees would be good mentors. From there, evaluate your successful mentors for potential career development opportunities.
- Compliance and human resources. With all the unprecedented changes you have put in place to address the pandemic, employees may not have compliance issues on their minds. This can put your convenience store at great risk. Your top training topics must still include courses on topics such as age-restricted sales, fuel safety, and harassment prevention.
- Communication and soft skills. In times of stress and crisis, your employees need people skills more than ever. It’s a mistake to ignore soft skills as top training topics – after all, employees can’t contribute to the success of your store if they can’t do things like communicate and problem-solve.
- Customer service. Training topics that contribute to customer loyalty have always been a priority for convenience stores. Now, as customer expectations have shifted, it’s important to train your staff on customer service strategies that are aligned with today’s customer needs.
Convenience Store Training Topics
The right training prepares your employees for the challenges they face on the job. Our convenience store training programs teach the skills your employees need to succeed.